Tuesday, December 25, 2007

concrete vs. asphalt (score one for the asphalt)

So i had a 5k this morning did well considering the footing i was dealing with. It was very soft slushy snow due to the salt the city had put down on the trail to deal with the ice. my time was 22:47 better time than last one with horrible footing and dodging flying snow from the runner in front of me, i guess that's the benefit of being at the front of the pack. i was sweating pretty good by the end of the race. the traffic wasn't bad at all on the second lap, not like it was for thanksgiving.

Ok so race went fine. The road home was blocked off due to what looked to be a water or sewer problem in the street. I feel for those guys working on x-mas day, but someone has to do it. small detour on the way home but not bad. Made it home got out of the van. Picked up my t-shirt and extra sweat shirt and headed inside. The last storm that came threw we had a little ice before the snow so we had some ice hiding below the snow. Well i found it. I turned to walk around the van headed around the van. There was the ice waiting for me. *SLIP* my right leg went right out from under me. Full 180lbs down on one knee on a VERY rough drive way. I was in the perfect spot. Just far enough away from the van so i couldn't stop my self and my arms were full with shirt and sweat shirt. It didn't hurt too bad so i figured i was fine also no holes in my outer pants or my leggings. I got the leggings off and when i got to my knee oh there is a chunk of skin i need that. Ended up taking off about a 2 inch long 1/4 inch wide chunk of skin off my knee. The bruise was growing only 5 mins after the tumble.

I have a question does that count as a race injury or not? It wasn't at the race or before the race. It was after the race. I'll be out running Thursday for sure.


remember to keep your feet moving and you will get somewhere
Bill

No comments: